Sunday, April 23, 2006

knitting update

Not a lot of knitting got done over this spring break. There were high hopes, but no actual activity. There was a minor amount of knit shopping as mentioned in on the road part one, it (the minor part) may have had something to do with the fact that Steve was standing there while I was shopping, I forgot my wallet and my mom had to bail me out but then again maybe I was just being good and restraining my stash enhancing impulses (yeah, that's it! *snort*).

Over the break however there was a lot of knit reading. I don't know why but I somehow came home from the library with three knit related books and managed to read them all in one week (sort of). If you knew how very little time I have for anything in my life these days, much less reading, you would understand how amazed I am by this feat.

The first book was "At Knit's End" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, aka the Yarn Harlot. I love her blog, she's very funny. Since I like her blog it was no surprise that I liked the book. I tried to space it out to prolong the enjoyment but found myself racing through this book, giggling hysterically at some parts. Of course I also tried to read some parts to Steve but he didn't understand the humor. Stephanie has other books out, "Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter" and "Knitting Rules", I'm going to have to try to get thse from the library next (hopefully convincing the librarian to buy them so I can read them).

The second book was "The Shop on Blossom Street" by Debbie Macomber. Funny enough I had read the second book in this series "A Good Yarn" first. It was sweet, they both are. Light reading, cute story, a very nice quick read. The fact that I was on vacation and not at home probably accounts for my finishing the book in two days. It was nice to curl up and just read...something I haven't done in a long time.

 

The third book, "Weekend Knitting" by Melanie Falick accounts for the sort of part of the second paragraph. I flipped through it, read through it focusing on the patterns I like, and am now reading it for a third time more carefully. I'm not sure that I could actually complete any of the projects in a weekend even with unrestricted time but the projects are cute. I'm a little dubious of egg cozies shaped like sweaters. I mean it's cute but unless you give it to another knitter I'm not sure anyone else would want them -- maybe I'm wrong. It probably also has something to do with the fact that I knit so slowly I cannot even fathom the thought of investing that much time and effort into a sweater for an egg, but that's just me. Some of the projects in there really made me want to run out and buy yarn [side note: why does it work that way? Why doesn't it make you want to run to your stash first? Or is that just me again?]. I restrained myself but will definitely have to make note of some of the projects in this book so that I can check it out again in the future and knit something from it.

It's nice to have knitting books to read, I like that two of them were not actually pattern books and may have to look for more along those lines. If you have any recommendations please leave them in the comments and let me know.

No comments: