Thursday, April 06, 2006

frazzled part one

Urgh! What a day.

It's been very hectic today starting with the fact that I rose early in the morning to bake bread. Went downstairs, milled up a lovely concoction of hard red wheat, hard white wheat and spelt. Came upstairs, laid everything out (mise en place for those edjumacated cooking types) and started to create and knead my bread. Got it all oiled and covered and in a warm spot.

*%^$&#* I realized I forgot the yeast. Can't be, I've been baking bread for YEARS how could I possibly forget the yeast. Go downstairs and yup, looking at the yeast container I realized that I didn't add any. What to do? Without yeast this puppy is going to remain a lump of flour and water (and a few other things but mostly flour and water). So I did something that I have never done before, I added the yeast at the end. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy! That dough was just about perfect and getting it to stretch enough to add in oily yeast was a feat and a half. All I have to say is thank goodness for whoever invented quick rise yeast that doesn't need proofing! Many kudos in their general direction.

It rose, I punched down, vigorously, and decided to let it rise again. I have just punched it down again and it is now all shaped and in it's pans (one day I'll have to break down and get a banneton as I think it would definitely be an interesting change to make more rustic breads). Now in it's third rise. Folks this started at 6:30 am! I'm seriously wondering how this long, triple rise is going to affect the bread but what the heck, I'm a curious type. I'll let you know.

No comments: