Sunday, May 15, 2005

post-prom

The girls got back at 1:00 am! Bleah, thank goodness they're young...I don't think I can do that anymore. They were all ravenous having agreed that the food at the prom was uniformly awful. I set out a snack buffet for them and went to bed. They apparently stayed up until 2:30/3:00 am eating, chatting and watching t.v.

For breakfast this morning I made them pancakes. I was pleased to realize how many times over the past four years these girls have eaten my pancakes and told them all that they need to come back whenever they want for a pancake breakfast. With the pancakes we had a delicious maple syrup. V's friend S brought it as a gift last night. She made it at her school and wanted to share some with us. It was really good and tasted even more delightful since we knew the person who made it.

The pancakes are an adaptation of a recipe that I received many years ago from my friend David who adapted it from a recipe that he got from his grandmother. They are delicious, fluffy, and everyone loves them. I call them David's Pancakes:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon soy flour
1/3 cup powdered milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 cups water (more if you want thinner pancakes)

Mix together thoroughly, let batter sit at least 5 minutes before using. Pour 1/4 cup per pancake into a hot, greased pan. When bubbles appear in top, flip and cook until bottom is done.

Serve with butter, pancake syrup, jam, or powdered sugar.

Note: by adding 1 tablespoon oil and 1/3 cup wheat germ these make fabulous waffles. The waffles, alas, do not keep well but are amazing when fresh.

No comments: