Sunday, May 15, 2005

garden days

It's been a busy weekend so far but I have managed to get some gardening in. A trend that will hopefully continue this afternoon.

Friday and Saturday were gorgeous days. Great temperature, sunny, the bugs aren't out yet. I managed to get a lot of work done and am almost done clearing the gardens (except for the back but that's another story -- always is because it's so huge).

I noticed that my lemon balm has multiplied nicely so I've potted up the extras and am looking for new homes. That's one of the nicest things about plants...when they multiply you can give them to others and everyone is happy.

We got some much needed rain last night. I'm hoping that I'll be able to start planting the vegetable garden this week. I've decided not to put in much in the way of other plants this year preferring to concentrate on widening the paths, fixing the retaining walls that shoved or fell down over the winter, and re-organizing the garden to make it easier to stay on top of. The only exception to that is planting two butterfly bushes that my friend Barbara so generously gave me. They're going to be a lovely addition to the yard.

Tomatoes are, I think, going to be in big supply this year. I was going to buy some plants because I never got around to starting any from seed. In the last week I have received offers of a wide variety of tomatoes from three different people! It's going to be wonderful to have so many different kinds; I'm lucky to have so many generous friends.

No comments: