Sunday, June 12, 2005

reading recommendations

I've finally finished "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell". I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't wait to hear the reaction from my sister-in-law after she reads it. I'm passing it on to her the next time she and I get together.

In the meantime I have started "The Kite Runner" on her recommendation. I've heard that it is a very well-written book although a sad story. I'm looking forward to it.

I have also received other book recommendations that have now been added to the reading list. [note: like the knitting list the reading list is longer than it probably should be but I can't help myself -- there are too many interesting books out there.] My exchange mother recommended "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress". I looked at the description of it and it looks like a really interesting and wonderful book. Funny enough in the Customers who bought this book also bought section of this book is "The Kite Runner" as well as another book that I received a recommendation for, "Bel Canto". This book was recommended by Wendy. I had already read it and we enjoyed a brief conversation about how wonderful it was, some of the unexpected twists and what a poignant novel it is.

I used to be able to read a book a week but since life has gotten so much busier I usually find myself with only 15-20 minutes a day. At this rate it will probably take me all summer to read my way though "The Kite Runner" but I know I have the next great book lined up for after that one.

If you have a great book that you've read and would like to share I'd love to hear about it. Leave me a comment and let me know.

No comments: