Wednesday, June 15, 2005

modern mom

It just occurred to me how very fortunate I am to live in the age and time that I do. First let me digress momentarily. S was required to do an independent research paper for school. Her topic, which she picked herself, was "The Effects of Labor Saving Devices on the Modern Woman - Era 1950-1960". It was actually a lot of fun because we own a 38 year old Hoover vacuum (which still works btw) and a 1950's mixer; she was able to bring those in for the show-and-tell portion of her presentation.

I was reminded of this project while I was multi-tasking this morning. First I loaded an enormous chunk of Mount Washalot into my new front loader (which basically equates to 1 1/2 of the old loads I used to be able to do), then I set the roomba to work in the kitchen while I unloaded the dishwasher from last night and reloaded it with the breakfast dishes. So I was in effect washing clothes, doing dishes and vacuuming all at the same time. 100 years ago, heck even 50 years ago this wouldn't have been possible. I confess to still being puzzled by my apparent lack of time to get everything done but when moments like this occur I am grateful for them.

No comments: