Sunday, June 12, 2005

garden changes

Our garden is definitely overrun this year. Part of it is lack of time and part of it is weather. I think I am going to have to get rid of a large section of the back garden. The woman who gardened here before me was a very enthusiastic gardener. I am grateful for the gift of the creation she left me but find that I am not able to keep it up especially with all of the other demands on my time.

While I enjoy gardening I do not have enough time to do the yard justice. I'm not sure how I'll manage to create the effect I want yet, but I am intending to only keep the top 5 feet of the back yard as maintained garden and then find some way to clearly define the border and let the rest of it go. I need to or I feel that I will go slightly mad worrying about the effect of the overgrowth.

Of course the hot humid rainy weather doesn't help. I find myself unable to spend too long outside in the yard because I just melt from the weather. I seem to be able to keep up with almost 3/4 of the whole garden/yard. I need to learn to simply accept that.

I have realized that my life has so many pulls in so many different directions that I am possibly too intense in my efforts to "get it all done." As I write this the cat is stretching and rolling over in her bed, very self-contented with her life; perhaps I should learn to be more like her!

No comments: