Saturday, June 24, 2006

the war of the weeds has been lost

Nothing else needs to be said on that topic.

It was raining again today. Like most days so far this summer. Either that or blisteringly hot. Courageously I waded out into the thicket that used to be my garden to start harvesting currants and rhubarb.

The currants are just starting and I'll be picking as they ripen in order to beat the birdies. The rhubarb is probably done for the year. About half of what I tried to harvest was either woody or dry. I have enough for one more batch of something so I think I'm going to make Blackberry Rhubarb Jam. I'll use the frozen blackberries that I have from last summer. I had gotten some thornless blackberries from a neighbor of my Mom's a few years ago; last year was the first year that they really produced for me. The berries are as big as the first joint on my thumb and very delicious.

Here's the recipe:

4 C finely chopped rhubarb
1 C. blackberries
4 C. sugar
1 T. lemon juice

Cover the rhubarb and blackberries with the sugar and lemon juice and let sit at least 3 hours
Put in pot, bring to a boil
Cook 20 minutes or until jelly point has been reached
Ladle into sterile jars, seal and process 10 minutes in hot water bath

tags: , , , ,

No comments: