Sunday, June 11, 2006

baby blessings

We spent the afternoon with family celebrating the arrival of our new niece. My sister-in-law looked wonderful, all of the family and friends looked great, it was a very fun afternoon. It turned out to be a "Jack and Jill" shower with men invited. They seemed a little puzzled and almost hesitant about the games...the women, being more practiced, dove right in and had a great time. I won two of the games, the "how many things in the baby bottle" and the nursery rhyme game.

The men barbequed, there was tons of food. I brought my favorite carrot salad:

14 carrots, peeled and grated
1 C. raisins
1 C. walnut pieces
2 T. lemon juice
1 C. mayonnaise

Mix all together, chill then serve. It's really yummy.

There was an embarassing display of desserts and I'm afraid to confess, but I ate one of everything (and it was good too!).

Then came the opening of the gifts. The men sort of shuffled around while the women oohed and aahed. I was in charge of the "shower hat" which came out quite cute if I do say so myself.

The father-to-be asked me what the significance of the hat was. I replied, "ritual humiliation?" I don't really know why we do this for bridal and baby showers but it's FUN! That's why. The women all thought it was great, especially the mom-to-be, that's what matters.

tag: , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely try that salad! What is the T? (I guess the C is a cup)

And congratulations with the new niece!

mira said...

Thanks for the congratulations, we are very excited about the new arrival.

T. stands for tablespoon which is a big spoon measure. t is a teaspoon or small spoon measure. There are three teaspoons in a Tablespoon and 16 Tablespoons in a cup. Hope that helps.