Tuesday, September 12, 2006

farm bounty

Oh my goodness, what a bounty at the farm today. This is the time of year when I really begin to feel that I am getting far more than my $23.80 per week.

In addition to the goodies that I came home with I also came home with a sense of peace. I haven't been able to do the pyo (pick your own) for several weeks due to the weather and/or not feeling well. Today was a gorgeous, sunny day, perfect for hanging out on the farm. I really enjoyed my time spent in the rows. I even had a lovely conversation with someone I had never met before, Martha, over the plum tomatoes. It was just great.

What did I come home with?

Gleanings on cherry tomatoes, yellows, reds, and a full bag of greens to make pickled green tomatoes.
2 quarts of green beans - dill bean pickles coming up
a LOT of plum tomatoes - sauce making starts tomorrow
8 sunflowers - so pretty and a perfect reminder of a wonderful afternoon
herbs - basil, parsley and thyme. The basil is to cook with now, the parsley and thyme are being
dried for use throughout the year. I'll continue to collect them over the next few weeks

And then the pickup stuff: tomatoes, cucumbers, swiss chard, scallions, broccoli, spaghetti squash, eggplant, garlic, onions. There was more stuff, beets, turnips, peppers (hot and sweet) but I couldn't fit anymore in my share bag.

I really am so fortunate to have access to delicious, healthy food like this. I am grateful that my family can participate in something like this and keep a farmer gainfully employed as well. It is a circle of benefit. I think it means a lot in these days of overstimulated, overspent, mechanized society to be able to have this.

No comments: