Wednesday, August 02, 2006

saft sirop syrup

I have finally found a recipe for making saft which is a fruit syrup concentrate that you add water/seltzer to to make a nice refreshing drink. I have been wanting to make it for a long time and lost my recipe.

Basically you take some fruit (I'm using raspberries and blackberries), mush them up with a little yeast, let it ferment a while, strain, add water and sugar, boil and process.

The recipe I have calls for 5 pints of fruit, 1 t. yeast, 2 C. sugar and then the water is added proportionally to how much juice you have. It smells VERY yeasty at the moment but hopefully that will calm down over the next day or two. I'm really thrilled to try this and see how it turns out.

I'm hoping it turns out well and that the kids like it. I'm also thinking of trying a second batch using something other than white sugar (perhaps sucanat or honey). We'll see how the first one turns out before I make that decision.

No comments: