Friday, August 25, 2006

quiet joy

I frequently find myself amazed by my children. They are so (insert any wonderful adjective here). Really, they are. I know I'm a little biased but I believe in them wholeheartedly and find myself feeling priviledged (most of the time) to be their mother (that's when I'm not feeling like selling them to the nearest passing gypsy).

One adjective that they are is creative. All three of them. I'm not sure how it happened but creativity just oozes out of their pores. Today I found myself "seeing" a moment that was so precious and wonderful.

It was a rainy, grey day. The kind where you want to curl up in bed for a long time only to emerge to grab a cup of tea, a book and a blanket and curl up somewhere else.

I was busy unpacking, cleaning, organizing, trying to do household stuff. At one point I walked into the kitchen to realize that the counters were all clean, there was gentle music playing, a beautiful just-created sweet bouquet of flowers from our garden and D was busy lighting a lot of candles. She said, "This is warming the spirit on a rainy day. And it did. So sweet and sensitive of her to recognize that we need a slow, calmer pace in the house and to try to create it on her own.

She arranged candles beautifully together and the bouquet that she made was truly a work of art. I don't know how she does it because I'm not that talented. She wanders into the garden, snips a few flowers and poof, a beautiful, coordinated, just-right arrangement. I don't know how she does it but I am grateful that she does.

No comments: