Friday, March 25, 2005

sam's okay

Sam is okay for now. He appears to have a bladder infection which is not good but at least is treatable with antibiotics. The sad news is that he apppears to have doggie alzheimer's, he has lost a lot of weight, about 10% of his body mass, and his back legs are definitely weakening.

He's still a happy dog though so we don't need to make any decisions now. If he continues to lose weight that will be very concerning but we are going to add in canned food to his diet and see if that helps.

I've realized that every pet I've ever had has either died when I wasn't around or I didn't have to make the decision to euthanize them; someone else did, usually my Mom. Having to think about that decision is so hard and I'm not ready to do that. I guess I'm selfish and want to keep Sam around a lot longer. We love him so much we somehow didn't notice how much he had aged. For now we're just focussed on giving him his antibiotics and trying to see if we can help him gain back some weight.

No comments: