Monday, May 29, 2006

memorial day




When I was a child I loved Memorial Day. The fireworks, the parades, it was all fun. I still enjoy the fireworks and the parades, especially the parade here in our little town which has an almost Rockwellian quality to it.

As I've gotten older I find it is a time to truly solemnly contemplate those who served so that the rest of us may live free. We need to truly honor the men and women of our armed forces for their sacrifices and be grateful for what they have given us.

At 3 PM there is a moment of silence across the nation. 3 PM was chosen because it was thought that this was a time when everyone people would be together. If you are in your car you are asked to turn on your lights. Many radio stations are planning to play Taps. I plan to make tissue paper poppies with my kids at that time.

Here are some other links to learn more:

MemorialDay.Org

The Memorial Day Foundation

Wikipedia Memorial Day

Beliefnet Memorial Day


For those who have served in the past and are serving now, for those who have given their lives that we may live in freedom, we honor you and are grateful to you and to your families.

No comments: