Sunday, April 24, 2005

reading

While on vacation reading material is always a must. I didn't bring my primary reading book, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (by Susanna Clarke) because it was too big and would have taken up too much room in my suitcase. I wish there had been room in the suitcase though. I am REALLY enjoying this book, thanks to Seth and Kim for the gift. It is very well written, very engaging and sort of an old-fashioned style of novel. The story is great. I just wish I had more time to read it. The only sad note is that I know it is one of those books that you hate to have end. When it is over I will be sad that there isn't any more to the story. I'm about three-quarters of the way through so there's still some story left to go.

For vacation I brought Food in History by Reay Tannahill. This was also a gift, thanks Joyce, and is a wonderful book. I like food and books about food (I'm one of those silly people that actually "reads" cook books), I like history (somewhat) and I find socio-eco-politico stuff to be interesting. This book has lots of information about why things are they way they are with food as we move through history. How some changes came into being, how certain things developed. It's really amazing. I'm learning so much and it's presented in an enjoyable way.

The third book that I am reading at the moment is Living It Up: America's Love Affair with Luxury by James B. Twitchell. What an interesting book (and subject). It clearly explains a lot about our current culture and how it is perceived by different groups and the net effect/impact of a consumer-driven society. It's not a light-and-fluffy look at the subject but neither does it present itself as a hard-line opinionated reflection of one viewpoint or another on the topic of consumerism.

I think I need more vacation so that I will have more reading time.

No comments: