Sunday, April 24, 2005

nature notes

This is actually a catch up post from before I went on vacation. One of the benefits of working where I do is that I have a corner window (three actually) that face the back woods behind our building. Lots of wildlife hangs out back there.

This past week has been a big week for crows. One day I managed to see a crow fighting with a snake. It was very interesting to see the crow pecking at the snake and then the snake trying to writhe away. Eventually the snake lost and the bird carried it off into a tree.

Another bird incident involved a rather audacious squirrel and two crows. I'm not sure what the squirrel stole from the crows but they were very upset about it. Cawing loudly and hopping up the rocks, flapping their wings while the squirrel dashed back and forth up the rocks into the safety of the undergrowth.

The crows seem to be out in force lately too. They've been perching on the roof line next to my window. They're huge; it's very interesting to watch them looking into the woods, peering side to side to see whatever it is that they see.

No comments: