Sunday, April 15, 2007

media update

Got a fair amount of reading and movie watching in this weekend. It's been very rainy and a good time to do that.


I finished reading "The Boleyn Inheritance" by Philippa Gregory. I had also read "The Other Boleyn Girl" and liked it very much which is why I picked up this book. The characters are so well built and the way she carried the story line from person to person was well done. Her characters and descriptions are full-bodied and even though I know that this is historical fiction it was not hard to imagine the scenes taking place exactly as she had written them. I liked this book so much that now I feel I must get "A Constant Princess" and read that as well. I hope this author continues writing in this vein because she is very talented at it.


V and I sat down to watch "Memoirs of a Geisha." We had both read the book and were wondering how the movie would compare. Stunning is all I can say. Definitely an epic film with amazing actors, costumes, sets and scenery. It is one of my new favorite films, I truly love that epic novel set (well) to film. "Vanity Fair" and "Pride and Prejudice" come to mind when thinking of this sort of sweeping sumptuous production. Changes were made, of course, to the story line but it was so well done we didn't mind at all and both sat totally enraptured for the entire two plus hours of the film.

Tonight I plan to watch the "Prairie Home Companion" movie and let you know how I like it.

No comments: