Saturday, February 19, 2005

lovely fabric

I've decided that the idea of knitting with fabric is very intriguing and does border on cheating on my rule not to add to my stash of yarn. This is because I will be knitting it; but according to those in Stitch Sisters who I have mentioned this to it hardly counts. And how can you be expected to not acquire any yarn/supplies/patterns at all? I'm with them!

After looking at this material I realized that once it is knitted up it will look very different than it's current state. So I made this scan in order to preserve the appearance.

Then I immediately ran downstairs and carefully cut it into 1/2" strips. Do you know how long it takes to make 1/2" strips from a yard of fabric? About 12 minutes. And that's only because I couldn't find my quilting ruler and had to make do with a 12" school ruler. Otherwise it would have been faster.

Now I have a lovely pile of strips. My options are to glue, sew, or knot the ends together to make the yardage. I've decided that glue will be too hard in the spots where it's glued. And although knotting would be faster I'm worried that the knots might add an unevent quality to the finished product. So I'll have to sort through and find a decent thread and start sewing all these strips together. I figure that will take me quite a while. Hopefully in the meantime I'll be able to concentrate more fully on finishing the hat since it's on the size 10 needles that I need for this purse.

And yes...I'm cheating. I've decided that I need to make this purse and the other objects on needles (still too embarrassing to mention how many) will have to wait just a little while longer.

No comments: