Thursday, February 24, 2005

crockpots

Gosh I love crockpot cooking. Actually I guess it's called slowcooker these days. It's kind of like the Kleenex thing. They're facial tissues and Kleenex brand marketed them and now everyone calls them Kleenex. Rival invented the crockpot so they're the only ones who can call it a crockpot. Everyone else who manufactures and markets the same thing has to call it a slowcooker.

I use mine a lot. It's the greatest invention ever. I can prepare dinner, set it to cook and when we come home the main course is done. Tonight we're having chicken caccitore:

3 lbs chicken thighs
1 cut up pepper
1 cut up onion
1/2 can tomato sauce
1 T. chopped basil, oregano, parsley
(forgot the marjoram oh well)
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper

I'll serve it over pasta with a side of steamed broccoli and peppers, a nice salad and voila! Dinner.

My sister-in-law just got one. She got the new 6 quart fancy button kind. I'm tempted to get a new one. Mine still works well but it's a 5 quart and only has an on and off button. It's 25 years old and still works great. However, you can't preset the start time and it doesn't go to a warming setting when the food is done. This way I would have two and I could consider doing a dessert or side dish in the one I have now while the main dish cooks in the new one (can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into this?). They're actually not that expensive anymore. I just need to decide if I really want to have two crockpots because the one I have works perfectly well (I'm waffling here). I guess I'll have to ponder a little more.

No comments: