Sunday, January 23, 2005

freezer finds

I decided to defrost the freezer today. I figured since the weather was so cold I could put all the food outside and it would be fine. It was. After I finished defrosting the freezer I put all the food back in a more orderly fashion, much better.

Dinner and dessert were assembled from freezer finds although it turned out not to be what I had thought. I found one package marked chili ***** ****/04 and figured it said chili made something 04. Turns out it was a delicious chili soup concoction that my husband had made. One of those unfortunate concoctions that came without a recipe!! So we have now eaten the last of the chili soup and will probably never have it again. We also had tortilla chips made from corn tortillas served with a side of guacamole, hot sauce, and other fixings. And for dessert I made a delicious rhubarb strawberry dessert with rhubarb from my garden and the last of the strawberries from the freezer.

There were also LOTS of bananas in the freezer so I decided to make snack breads. One batch whole wheat blueberry banana bread and the other banana cranberry pecan. These should keep the kids in after school snacks for the next week or two.

All in all it was a productive and delicious day!

No comments: