Tuesday, March 28, 2006

courageous chloe

This afternoon I went to let the cat into the house and she had a funny look on her face. I know, some people don't believe that cats have expressions but believe me, they do. I look a little closer and there is a neat little coil lying next to her. It's a garter snake. She wandered back and forth seeking (and getting) praise. I wanted to get her into the house so that I could move the snake before D came home from school (figuring a snake lying on the front step was not a good way to start the afternoon). Chloe wandered off and I poked Mr. Snake (and no, I don't know whether it was a he or she, but I'm the one writing here so I get to pick) who didn't move. I decided it was dead and went inside to get a towel to wrap it in. Came back with the towel, picked up the snake and then a little tongue flickered in and out of his mouth. Luckily I didn't drop him. I did however manage to change my hold to avoid being bitten and gingerly lowered him to the ground where he quickly slithered away. How exciting, I didn't know Chloe could catch snakes. Wonder how many "presents" we'll receive this summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How lucky to get such a gift. My cats, being in-door beasts, only leave me shreds of tin foil from the trash or a plastic bag with the crumbs of a tasty roll. At least Reilly found it tasty.
Sam