Saturday, January 12, 2008

streamlining

I'm trying to decomplicate my life. It complicates itself very nicely without any attention or help from me, of course, but every now and then I feel a need to step in. Now is such a time. Not because it's the beginning of the year or anything mind you. And I'm most certainly NOT making a resolution...but I do have a few things to do to clear some space:

  • cross-stitching
  • I've given away most of my patterns (still have a couple that I would like to make "one day") and allowed the girls free rein of my carefully color coordinated and wound floss for friendship bracelets and other things. I don't have the time or the eyesight anymore.
  • tole painting
  • Still have the books, love them. I've given away four boxes of gen-u-ine Vermont roofing slate from our house in VT (over 10 years ago...we've moved these boxes several times but I won't discuss that here). I've given the girls free rein of my paint for arts and crafts.
  • scrap-booking
  • I've decided, as mentioned here, to pull back on this. So I have given the girls free rein (are we sensing a pattern?) of my papers but am selfishly keeping the cut-outs, stickers, and scissors for myself.

    I wish I could just allow myself to part with all of this and stick to knitting and crocheting since that's what I am really enjoying and I have more than enough projects to last me for years. But. I hate to throw away good stuff. Good art stuff that the kids can use. My hope is that they will use it up faster than I could (actually the floss is almost gone) and I can just defend my hoard stash from all comers.

    No comments: