Monday, February 26, 2007

terra pass

I'm interested in the environment and in trying to be environmentally sensitive. We recycle (heavily), compost, try not to buy excess packaging items, try to reuse, reduce, all those good things. Our family of five generates approximately 1 33-gallon bag of trash per month. We're trying to get it down to even less than that.

Recently I learned about Terra pass after watching an episode of Living with Ed and bought one for my car*. I think it's a good thing and hope that it will spread. Having said that I was amazed when I read this article. Wow! Talk about a big publicity boost. I hope it catches on.

*I've always liked Ed Begley Jr. and think he is a good actor. His show is a bit repetitious but oddly addictive and amusing. It's also informative and I enjoyed watching it. His neighbor is Ed Nye the science guy! What could be better than that.

2 comments:

K said...

Mira,
I am embarrassed to say, this is one area that I do a HORRIBLE job! I try to reclaim stuff from the garbage and toss it into the recycling bin, but ultimately, my family isn't as concerned as I am in this area. A 33 gallon bag per month???!!! Gosh, we could fill that in one day around here!
Where would I start to make a difference in my home?

mira said...

I would start by having the kids do a chart of how much of your trash is what kind of recyclable. Then see if you can convince them to help you separate it.

The other would be to look at trying to purchase lower or no-wrap items. It really frustrates me when I buy something that is covered in a heavy duty plastic shell that ultimately takes up more space than the item itself.

Having said that I will confess that it took us a long time to get to this point, it doesn't happen overnight. Good luck!!