Wednesday, June 06, 2007

wfmw - whole grain breakfast



Time to get back into Works for Me Wednesday; don't forget to check out Rocks In My Dryer for other WFMW tips.

Everyone knows we're supposed to add more whole grains to our diet. Especially in the morning to give us a good boost and fuel the furnace in the morning. This is not always easy. Whole wheat on one cereal package, multi-grain on another. But truthfully neither of them is whole grain.

I've started making my own breakfast cereal by making sure that when I cook whole grains (such as wheat for chili) I make enough to have the leftovers with breakfast. Then I assemble this easy muesli-style cereal that can be served hot or cold. It's a quick and easy way to nourish your body before heading out the door to enjoy summer activities.

1 C. cooked whole grain (such as wheat)
1 C. rolled cereal flakes (barley or oatmeal)
1/4 C. chopped nuts (such as almonds)
1/4 C. diced dried fruit (such as apricots)
1 t. dried cinnamon
soy or almond milk to taste (how gloppy do you like it)

mix together, heat or serve cold

makes two very hearty servings

No comments: